NICOLA held their inaugural two day conference on 3 and 4 November 2015 at Norton Rose Fullbright, Sandton, Johannesburg.
The conference had the following keynote speakers:
- Dr. Mpho Tshitangoni, Director: Contaminated Land, DEA;
- Dr. Jon McStay, author and contributing developer of the Framework for the Management of Contaminated Land in South Africa;
- Michael Pottinger, Vice-chairman of the NICOLA Steering Committee; and
- A representative from Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa on legal aspects pertaining to contaminated land
During the conference the following topics were discussed:
- Sector opportunities and challenges implementing Part 8 of NEMWA and the associated Regulations. Bank, early wins, learn and improve;
- What does significant mean in the context of contamination? Developing a sector understanding; and
- Developing generic groundwater screening values for contaminated sites in South Africa.